Friday 9 March 2012

Change in Thinking

At the inception of this blog, my philosophical was more based around communitarianism, a modern rendition of classical conservatism. This stands as opposed to libertarianism, which is a modern rendition of classical liberalism. All things considered, where as libertarianism utilises the the rational and calculating side of human nature, communitarianism hoped to utilise the emotional and communal side of human nature. I have come to see them as equally idealistic in their application.

My views have always been liberal in their application, yet Will Kymlicka has managed to change my views so that they are slightly to the political right of John Rawls, who is distinctly left wing both economically and socially.  The work of Joan Ralston Saul, A Fair Country, has consolidated this change.

This blog will keep its Aristotle-inspired name, I have simply become far more willing to use arguments based around individualism when it comes to social issues. Canada is a nation of history and culture with a classically conservative past that matters. When classical liberals headed the American Revolution, many classical conservatives responded by fleeing to Canada, a key reason for this. Will Kymlicka's vision that is based around John Rawls yet acknowledged these facts whole-heartedly.

Not all of my past posts were wholly communitarian of course, and not all of my upcoming posts will be wholly liberal, as I still feel even Rawlsian liberalism has some social shortcomings. One of the most important lessons I have learned is that individualism does not necessitate neutrality, nor does neutrality necessitate individualism.

I would how consider myself distinctly left-wing economically, and centre-left socially. This is because we as liberals cannot avoid the use of some conservative arguments when it comes to some social issues, whether or not we are advancing liberal policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.